Thursday, March 18, 2010

Apparently I'm not the only one

Unfortunately I'm not the only person in my family with a temper. Somehow it seems that I married a man who gets as annoyed with the kids as I do- and he can be just as nasty to them as me. Yesterday Aiden dropped his pizza in the living room. Andy and the kids were having a picnic night- watching a movie and eating pizza- while I was at school. Aiden wasn't paying attention- he was watching the movie, not what was going on with his food- and he dropped his slice of pizza, face down, on the carpet. Now, this isn't as big a deal as it probably sounds like- my carpet is not nice. It's never been nice, as long as we've lived in this house. However, Andy was irritated and he blew up at Aiden- he yelled at him so badly that he had to appologize because he just took it too far.

This is something I will say about our parenting style. Occasionally we get too angry and we yell past what is acceptable for the offense. However, when that happens, we do admit we were wrong and appologize. I think it's more important for our children to see us as failable creatures who can accept when they've made a mistake and appologize for it, rather than having them think that we think we're infallable.

Anyhow, Andy and I had a discussion last night about how we both really need to light up on Aiden. He's such an amazing child- he really is- and our expectations of him are too high sometimes. We both need to work on this.

No comments: